Toxic Materials Homebuyers Need To Check for Before Closing

Toxic Materials Homebuyers Need To Check for Before Closing

Buying a home is an exciting endeavor for many but creates a catastrophe if one doesn’t inspect the house before closing. As you move forward with your homebuying process, hire a home inspector who can examine your home for these toxic materials homebuyers need to check for before closing.

Lead Paint

You can live with lead paint if you don’t have children under six. Regardless, not removing lead paint can harm your health. Lead coatings around pipes and in soil mixes can deplete your well-being.

Nevertheless, lead paint can cause neurological damage in developing children who are exposed to the paint. The neurological damage is not reversible.

How To Remove Lead Paint

It’s possible to remove lead paint on your own, but it does take time and patience. So, if you’re willing to work with the home and can remove lead paint over time, here’s what to do:

  1. Focus on the inside and outside of your home.
  2. Find the cause of damage done to current lead paint.
  3. Wear the proper protective gear.
  4. Clean up the area as you go.
  5. Finally, paint over the areas with fresh, non-toxic paint.


Asbestos was a popular element up until the 1970s. The material was widely used as insulation to trap heat during the winter and keep water and other components out.

However, many did not know until later in the 20th century that asbestos caused severe health problems later in life. The health problems resulted in many patients developing mesothelioma and other dire conditions.

As you prepare for your home inspection, make yourself aware of asbestos’s threat before buying a home. While planning, have a professional asbestos removal company inspect and remove the substance.


Many foundation issues can happen when you discover water damage. The easiest way to check for leaks is by inspecting your pipework and getting it fixed right away. Additionally, water damage is another area you want to improve, so you don’t suffer from future problems.


Many homes need detectors to help alert families of potential gas leaks or other toxic fumes that made their way into your home.

However, the one gas many don’t know to check for is radon. Radon is a radioactive gas that, like carbon monoxide, is invisible and has no odor.

In other words, the chemicals are so subtle that without something to help inspect for this toxin, they can result in harmful health problems later, such as lung cancer.


Mold is an issue many homes experience. From water damage to food sitting out, mold tends to populate and infest an area if a house owner doesn’t catch it in its tracks. Limit the spread by testing and eliminating mold during your home inspection.

As we end the toxic materials homebuyers need to check for before closing, discuss the potential risks of exposure with your home inspectors if you ignore these items. Having a home free of toxic elements improves your health and boosts future property value.