As necessary as it is, home maintenance can sometimes be a pain in the neck. However, if you put together a comprehensive maintenance schedule, you can make the process go by much smoother. You might not think that comfort and efficiency can go hand in hand when it comes to home maintenance, but that’s far from the truth. With the help of your ultimate summer home maintenance checklist, you can prepare your home for the summer heat while also taking advantage of the warm weather in a very productive way.
This checklist will break down all the best maintenance procedures to do during the summer season. However, it’s important to remember that the specifics of each procedure may differ depending on the state of your home. For instance, due to the low-maintenance nature of metal roofs versus shingles, you’ll almost always have a less laborious maintenance process with them than you would with other types of roofing, so take that into consideration when carrying out maintenance.
Your ultimate summer home maintenance checklist:
- Test fire alarm systems (smoke detectors, heat detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, etc.)
- Dust ceiling fans (and reverse direction if needed)
- Conduct a general cleaning to remove clutter and other fire hazards
- Have a professional inspect your air conditioning unit
- Have a professional clean your chimney
- Inspect outdoor faucets and hoses for leaks
- Inspect indoor pipes for leaks
- Inspect your roof and make repairs accordingly
- Inspect caulking around windows, window wells, and doors
- Inspect your deck for weak boards, rot, mold, loose nails, and other hazards
- Reseal your deck if necessary
- Sweep and wash your patio
- Clean out your grill
- Clean out gutters/downspouts
- Clean out window wells
- Clean your pool
- Wash the windows, inside and out
- Wash your driveway/walkway
- Stay on top of regular landscaping/gardening tasks when necessary
This might seem like a lot of work, but it’ll be well worth it once you’re done. By setting aside an afternoon or weekend to inspect your property with the help of this checklist, you can make sure it’s ready for the summer weather. Plus, doing this is one of the most productive ways to experience the outdoors during the summertime.