Or… make that Happy Holidays to 60% of us; but to the other 40%, maybe not so much.
As a psychologist, I sometimes almost cringe when I experience the mass media’s description of the holidays as happy and jolly. That’s because in my field, I get a true glimpse of what is really happening behind the scenes during the winter holiday season. And what I see is a significant amount of anxiety, stress and discomfort around holiday family gatherings.
The more I talked about this subject with my clients, and many others, over the years, the more curious I became. What exactly causes all of this trepidation about holidays and family? And does it affect as many people as it seems?
So this September, I commissioned an official national poll. I asked over 1,000 randomly selected people specific questions about their exact holiday family experiences, and this is what I found. [Read more…]