Fidgeting, concentration and focus, energy levels, mood swings, sleep and the lack thereof, sweating, and practically everything else – all these boils down to our body chemistry. Chemicals such as dopamine, serotonin, melatonin, insulin, norepinephrine and prostaglandin are among those that are very important.
Time change and prevalent technology have innovated jobs and tasks that people do in the society today. In the olden times, focus simply meant great attention given by a hunter to his potential preys in the forest. Today, focus means long hours of work and a state of uninterrupted productivity. For some people, this proves to be a difficult thing to do, not because of the lack of skills but because of the lack of focus.
This is where nootropics can help. Several articles have been written about how these smart drugs help improve the brain’s ability to focus in websites like this: https://nootropicsprofessor.com/best-nootropics-for-focus/.
Nootropics are compounds that improve cognitive function. These are otherwise known as smart drugs for the reason that intake affects the brain neurotransmitters and helps memory and ability to learn; keeps the brain safe from negative impacts of barbiturates and anticholinergic drugs; it has low toxicity and very less side effects. It is a supplement that enables improvement of focus and concentration.
It was in the 1960s when this drug was first discovered. It was initially intended to be a relief to motion sickness. Much later, its memory enhancing properties were discovered and examined. This accidental discovery of nootropics while scientists worked on developing a form of GABA led to the studies about Piracetam in 1971. Click here to learn more.
When an individual takes in nootropics, he experiences an increased level of mental clarity and alertness. And while actual visibility may not actually be improved, there is an increase in the ability of processing visual stimuli where scenes are taken in and processed more easily and perception to details are increased. Nootropics such as Ashwaganda, Noopept, Piracetam, Coluracetam are examples of smart drugs that help with visual perception.
The process of new neurons or brain cells forming in the brain is called neurogenesis. This is the most important part in the developing of the embryo in the mother’s womb, and continues to be an important process in early development and even in all throughout the life of an adult person. Scientific research has proven that adult minds still grows with the use of the right mechanisms. Neurogenesis is another way of re-growing brain cells and re-building minds. This is where the use of nootropics is significant since it promotes neurogenesis.
Nootropics improve brain function by helping increase BNDF or brain-derived neurotrophic factor which is a natural protein in the brain and which is responsible for protecting neurons. It is also an important factor in synaptogenesis which is the creation of pathways between the brain neurons; it is also significant in neurogenesis.
BNDF is the protein that is responsible for the life (or death) of brain cells. It aids in the enhancement of synaptic adaptability. Synapses are responsible for new memories, formation of new connections and/or combining the ones that already exists. These components are all important for learning new skills, regulating moods, maintaining clarity and laser focus.
Nootropics and Neurogenesis
Studies have postulated that the mental benefits that are derived from nootropics can be effects on the brain’s dopaminergic and cholinergic systems. Due to this, two important neurotransmitters are regulated: dopamine and acetylcholine.
Several compounds are required to induce occurrence of neurogenesis:
- Neurotrophic factors
- Transcription factors
With age, “brain fog” increases and this is attributed to degeneration of the neural pathways and synapses. Some specific drugs help improve cognitive function and make it possible the improvement of brain plasticity and supports regeneration of brain cells.
Related studies dug deeper into the effect of natural nootropics on attention, memory, and the brain’s cognitive performance. Nootropic or “smart drugs” work via the cholinergic and dopaminergic systems.
The Nootropic Best for Focus
Is there a specific nootropic that is identified to be the best for laser focus? There’s none. Nootropics cannot work on their own or are not capable of producing the desired effect on its own, but the best results are given by them if they are stacked with other drugs or supplements that can also help eliminate brain fog. Proper stacking of supplements is discussed here: https://examinedexistence.com/what-is-a-nootropic-an-introduction-to-smart-drugs-and-brain-supplements/.
Following are the different types of supplements that can help improve focus:
- Phosphatidylserine – a phospholipid which is prevalent in neurons. It is integral in the maintenance and growth of neurons; it has numerous cognition benefits. It helps improve ADHD symptoms, increase concentration and focus, boosts memory, enhances the brain’s processing accuracy and speed, and reduces age-related decline of the brain’s cognitive function.
- Huperzine A – compound that is extracted from Huperzia Serrata or commonly called Chinese Club Moss, a firmoss plant that is used for centuries in Chinese medicine. It helps boost acetylcholine levels in the brain. This increase will consequently boost levels of concentration and focus, improve brain memory, promote the growth of nervous tissue, and provide protection to neurons.
- Alpha GPC or Choline Alfoscerate – a source of choline, it works by helping increase the learning neurotransmitters (acetylcholine) in the brain.
- Aniracetam – is known to have the ability to augment mental energy and also help improve collective and holistic thinking. It also helps reduce stress, depression, and anxiety. It is also a good nootropic for creativity. Aniracetam makes these possible by acting as modulator for AMPA receptors that are responsible for the brain’s learning capabilities and creation of memory. An improvement that happens in neurotransmission and is caused by Aniracetam enables greater concentration, focus, as well as creation of memory and improves learning abilities.
It also reduces the user’s stress levels, reduces the damages done to the brain due to trauma, and reduces feelings of depression and anxiety. Its fat-soluble property allows it to permeate the blood-brain barrier easily; hence, it takes effect more quickly than the other nootropics under the racetam family. It also has a high level of potency.
- L-Theanine – reduces the user’s stress levels by increasing dopamine and serotonin concentrations in the blood. It causes a relaxed feeling but is not a sedative.
- Noopept – one of the best for concentration and focus. It can be closely associated with Piracetam but some studies stated that it might be stronger than several other supplements in the racetam family that help improve cognitive function. It helps improve learning ability; it hastens data processing, allows longer concentration, and is significant in improving focus.
- Pramiracetam – the effects of this smart drug is almost the same as Aniracetam’s; it reduces stress level, it helps improve mental alertness, it helps enhance memory, too.
It is best that one knows a little about nootropics before approaching a professional to help pick the right choice – see this for more information. At least, one will at least understand what is being talked about to make the discussion easier. When nootropics are used correctly, together with positive lifestyle changes, e.g. healthy diet, enough sleep, and regular exercise, one can achieve and optimize the benefits of these smart drugs.